Eastmoreland Public Golf Course began back in 1916, the brainchild of Superintendent of Parks, James O. Conville and T. Morris Dunne of the Multnomah Athletic Club. Both men felt strongly that Portland needed a public golf course.
In an effort to drum up seed money, a committee solicited popular subscriptions ($100 for a life time membership). They quickly raised $3000 and with the tax-free use of 160 acres, granted by the Ladd Estate Company, Eastmoreland Public Golf Course was to become reality.
In 1917 the course was laid out by National Amateur Champion, H. Chandlar Egan. Today, Eastmoreland is ranked by Golf Digest among the top public courses in the country to play. This course is as beautiful as it is challenging, bordered in part by Portland’s Rhododendron Gardens and Crystal Springs Lake. The environment provides a home for thousands of birds including great blue herons, mallards, wood ducks and more. The tree-lined fairways are beautiful year round and the natural hazards such as ravines, streams and lakes require the best from any golfer.